Introduction David Bain, Michael Brady, and Jennifer Corns
Part I: Pain, unpleasantness, and motivation
1. Imperativism and pain intensity Colin Klein and Manolo Martínez
2. Pain and theories of sensory affect Murat Aydede and Matthew Fulkerson
3. A neuroscience perspective on pleasure and pain Dan-Mikael Ellingson, Morten Kringlebach, and Siri Leknes
Part II: Pain and emotion
4. The rationality of emotional and physical suffering Michael Brady
5. The placebo effect Jennifer Corns
6. What is the affective component of pain? Jesse Prinz
Part III: Deviant pain
7. The unpleasantness of pain for humans and other animals Adam Shriver
8. When is a pain not a pain? The challenge of disorders of consciousness Valerie Gray Hardcastle
9. The first-person in pain Frédérique de Vignemont.
David Bain is Reader in Philosophy at the University of Glasgow, UK.
Michael Brady is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Glasgow, UK.
Jennifer Corns is Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of Glasgow, UK.